Old 05-19-02, 07:10 PM
KleinMp99
New to bikeforùms.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why my fork kept coming loose...

Ok, so I had been riding my P.3 for a long time through mud and everything and never cleaned it. I was so bored tonight that I went down to clean it, I washed the wheels and scraped and washed 2" mud clumps off the frame and stuff. I had a front tire on the back wheel which was totally bald, and I had a rear tire on the front that had alot of tread left. So I put the tire that I had on the front on the back wheel, and found another front tire for the front. Pumped them up and set them aside, took some steel wool and buffed the sidewalls and wow these wheels look pretty much new. So then I went to the fork, loosened the stem, loosened the top crown, loosened the stem cap and tapped the fork out with a hammer. After I got it out I noticed a large scratch/scrape/gouge/indent whatever you want to call it in the steertube. I sat there for awhile like that ------->:confused:. And then I put the steertube up next to the headtube to see where exactly the scrape originated from. Then I started to lift the round seal thing off the top cup of the headset and the bearing came out with it.......but the bearings were broke right in half! Maybe it didnt cause the fork to seem loose, but you got a great story out of it.