cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ReBuild advice

I will start a thread shortly with some pics of my bike rebuild. The Simoncini is stripped and cleaned and the rebuild is in progress. I am scratching my head on the Ultratorque crankset though. This is very different than a typical BB/crank installation. There is no BB per say. There are two bearing cups and the actual bearings are pressed into the crank arms (much like the rear axel bearings on a car). Campy found a way to take a lot of weight out of the BB.

Here is the question - there are two ways to install the BB cups, either torque them in or apply locktite 222 and and tighten them in. On a Italian BB the non-drive side may tend to work the BB cup out as it is normal thread (lefty loosey). I feel more comfortable with some locktite but 222 (the low grip kind) is hard to find (I have tried the automotive parts houses, hardware stores, etc.). Also Locktite prevents corrosion and will seal the threads. What would you do - forge ahead and just torque them in or make a special order for the locktite?

My inclination is to do it right and just order the stuff on line and pay the excess shipping for such a small item. I guess I can justify it with all the other places my might actually use it if I had it...