View Single Post
Old 09-14-08, 11:38 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you even ride it with your hands out on the L-section of the bar ends?

I ask because that's mostly a mountain-bike type of frame. Mountain bikes frequently have longer top tubes than many road bikes, as they expect the hand position to be even with the end of the stem, whereas a road bike is designed knowing that people tend to ride on the hoods, which are extended well beyond the stem.

So you've put on a longer stem (140mm?) and a trekking bar, which moves the forward hand position to well beyond where a flat bar would have it. Then you put on the bar ends in such a way that it extends the far hand position another 4" or so. You must now be a good 8"-9" (200+mm) beyond the normal hand position. Even your shifters and brakes are well beyond where a flat-bar road bike would place them.

Of course you have many other hand positions with the trekking bar, including some that are closer than the end of the stem.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post