View Single Post
Old 09-15-08, 06:25 AM
alcanoe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=w2brdbkr;7470864]My dad went to California for Proton treatments then last year my uncle also went & they both are doing fine. There is no surgery and my dad said it doesn't hurt but it does take a couple months for the procedure. Just thought I would share in case it is an option for some.
Here is what there web site says; [QUOTE]

The issue with any form of radiation for prostate cancer is that it's a one-shot deal. If the cancer reemerges after radiation treatment, then there is no treatment left except hormone suppression which is not the greatest lifestyle. Then it's effectiveness eventually stops as the body becomes intolerant of the drugs I believe.

If the surgery fails as it did with me, then you have radiation as an available backup. My cancer returned after 6 years. I underwent radiation (with over a year of hormone suppression treatment) and have been cancer free for almost 5 years. You never feel cured with prostate cancer as sometimes you're not.

The one-shot factor was the reason I went with the surgery. It seemed the least risk option.

Al