Thread: Women Commuters
View Single Post
Old 09-16-08, 10:43 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
While I don't worry much about being personally attacked while on a bike, it does happen. In a way we are more vulnerable than a pedestrian. If I wanted to attack a cyclist, it would be pretty easy for me to put them on the ground regardless of their size as long as they passed close enough to me. They don't even have to be moving that slowly.

So first of all I'd wear a helmet. If you do get knocked from your bike, smacking your head on the pavement is not going to help you keep your wits about you. You will be disoriented enough.

I would take Women's self defense class as opposed to carrying a weapon or Martial Arts. Martial Arts take a long time to master and most of the training assumes you're on your feet, - not on the ground. Weapons are only effective if you can reach them. Better to know how to use your entire body as a weapon.

Also you're not trying to win a fight. You're trying to inflict enough damage to get away.

I do think Martial Arts or some other activity that involves physical contact is a good thing long term. It helps you develop confidence in your abilities.

Having said all that, there are about as many women commuters in my office as there are men. I see lots of women commuters on my way to and from work.

I'm actually surprised at the number of women cyclists I see alone at night. I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that they do it.

There have been a number of posts in this forum regarding personal safety, although not specific to the dangers women face. I wouldn't let fears stop you from commuting but it's a good idea to take precautions.

Last edited by tjspiel; 09-16-08 at 10:49 AM.