View Single Post
Old 11-24-04, 08:54 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Sandy, I worked in a LBS that carried Sekine and recall things a bit differently. Perhaps you can straighten me out.

First, the plant opened in June 1973. it was located at Oo-za-we-Kwun near Rivers, Manitoba and was located there as an incentive for the native people. I don't know when the factory closed, but have been trying to find this out. I've assumed this was the early '80s after the tariffs dropped, as this was about the same time Shields and CCM went bankrupt. I have found Cnadian manufactured Sekine with component date codes in the late '70s.

The Sekine paint was electrostatically applied. Other colours included red (most popular), forest green, olive green (least popular) and white. The red and forest green had great depth and wetness to the appearance, almost appearing to be a "candy apple" finish. There were additional colours options on some of the Japanese manufactured frames, notably a beautiful royal blue.

The major characteristics of the models I recall are the:

SHA: Steel, cottered crankset. Cherry, steel, centre-pull brakes. Steel, small flange hubs. Shimano Lark/Eagle derailleurs. Stamped dropouts.

SHB: SR cotterless, swaged, aluminum crankset.Shimano Tourney centre-pull brakes. Shimano Tourney large flange hubs with wing nuts (later with quick relaese). Shimano Lark or Eagle derailleurs. Chromed fork tips. Stamped dropouts. Made in Japan.

SHC: same as SHB but made in Canada. Less colour options tham SHB. The SHB/C were the biggest seller, as you state.

SHT: SR aluminum, forged, cotterless crankset. Shimano Dura-Ace centre-pull brakes. Shimano Titlist derailleurs. Shimano Tourney, large flange hubs with quick release. Chromed fork and stay ends. Forged dropouts.

SHX: Full Shimano Dura-Ace group (with Crane rear derailleur). Chrome dropout flats and head lugs. Forged dropouts. No doubt about this model, as I own one!

There was a ladies model, but we did not carry it, so it does not stick out in my mind. I assume it was equivalent ot the SHA or SHB/C. I vaguely recall the SHS, but have no recollection of the configuration, probably because we did not sell many.

None of the models carried any tubing decals. (edit: catalogs show Champion decals ont he top 3 but they did not come on the bicycles we saw) However, based on seat tube sizes, it appears to be varying grades of Tange tubing.

Please note that the above descriptions are based on models we sold from the 1973-1975 period. However, this was when Sekine was at it's peak and probably represent most of the models on the streets.

Any info is appreciated, as I am trying to develop a Sekine website.

Last edited by T-Mar; 12-05-11 at 03:45 PM. Reason: tubing decals