Old 09-17-08, 09:24 AM
bdinger
Chubby super biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saturday - 135 miles of gravel - what am I thinking!?

This Saturday I committed myself (or will be committed..) to riding a 135 mile gravel ride here in Nebraska. Counting commuting to/from the start location I'll be at 150 easily by the time the day is done. I clocked off a century earlier this year, and it wasn't too bad, but a lot of that was pavement. Suffice to say, I'm a little on the nervous side!! Here's the route:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...avel-Adventure

I'm going to attempt to keep posting twitter/blogger updates during the ride, if you want to follow along, starting bright and early at 0530. This one is really important to me for several reasons. First, because if I can't complete this there is no way I'll be able to do the Dirty Kanza 200 (similar ride, 65 more miles) this spring. Second, well, I don't want to look like a weakling by bailing out!!

Adding to the nervousness is the fact that the cross tires I just ordered, Schwalbe Marthon crosses, on MONDAY from Universal Cycles STILL have not shipped. Time in transit to my house via UPS is only supposed to be 1-2 days, but at this point I'm pretty much a nervous wreck. Granted I've ridden on gravel several times with my current setup, and I'm still here, so I should just mellow out...

Anyway.. still crossing my fingers. Going to take it easy commuting tomorrow and Friday, as well as taking off work early on Friday. Going to start waking up at 0530 for the next two days as well, so maybe I'll actually sleep Friday night .

Any tips and tricks are welcome, but my overall plan is just "spin to win". My goal is just to finish it, ideally in 12 hours or less. Yup, taking the Long Haul Trucker to do it as well.. .