View Single Post
Old 04-26-01, 01:42 PM
JonR
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't learn to ride a bike till I was about sixteen, and I didn't learn to drive a car till eighteen--and I never liked cars, but I like bicycles!

When I bought my mountain bike in 1993 that I used for a lot of commuting before I retired, I just treated the purchase like any important consumer purchase, and looked in Consumer Reports magazine. They ranked a lot of bikes. I bought the one they ranked highest in my fairly modest price range, and I still have it and love it.

Personally, I think an even better way to get the right bike for you, would be to visit a really good cycle shop in your area and rely on the EXPERIENCED personnel there to guide you. They would also be able to set up the bike correctly for you, which is so important it can't be overemphasized.

The problem would be finding somebody you can really trust. Is there a bike club in your area? Contact the bike club and ask around.

I hope you won't purchase your bike at a discount store or department store, but at a real bike shop. I think most people on this forum would agree with me that the added money for expert help, adjustment, and in most cases a higher quality bicycle, is worth it ten times over.