Old 09-17-08, 10:48 PM
djkenny

Bikes: Bakfiets, 1999 GT Nomad Hybrid, early 70's Schwinn Cruiser 5, Bridgestone MB-3, Trek 520 Disc, Electra Ticino 8D, Ochsner blue Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always spent more conservatively automobile wise than many Americans seem to get into the mode of doing. I have kept my cars...a 92 GTI since 2000 and a 1987 Chevy Sprint since 1992. I know people that buy new cars every 6 to 7 years. I consider that very wasteful.

I rarely drive...maybe 30 miles a month now. My average about 4 years ago was closer to 300 miles a month.

I figure the gas saved would be apprx $100 a month. But my bus passes quickly use up $30 of this amount...there are times when I need to combine biking and bussing it.

I still pay auto insurance as if I DO drive more...essentially the lowest I have found is $800 a year at 2500-6500 miles a year. I think the insurance industry is a total scam. They do not even offer 1000-2500 miles a year options, or $25 a month rates for folks like myself. Lame.

We should get much better breaks for barely driving. Not just $40 discounts over 6 months compared to some chap driving 15k a year!!

My cars need about $4-500 a year average repair, or tune ups, oil changes etc.

I chose to drive my GTI today. The car conked out about 3 months ago. Last night I put a new high quality battery in it at the tune of $100. Then, the same problem came about...lurching and stalling. Was not just a weakening battery.

Just found out the alternator was weak.

Tomorrow I owe $350 for a new Bosch alternator.

Wish I just biked to work today!! Cars so suck.

I felt so much more at peace the last 4 months of barely ever driving.

Last edited by djkenny; 09-17-08 at 10:51 PM.