View Single Post
Old 09-18-08, 06:13 PM
br995

Bikes: Makino (have the parts; not yet built), EAI Barekuckle, Unknown Japanese fixed conversion, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman road bike (frame), Secret project bike, 2007 Trek Madone 5.2, Cannondale Caad3 mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used vs. New Rockhopper

I want to get a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc. The owner of the local Specialized dealer, however, has offered to sell me his used Rockhopper.

Thing is, it's 2 years old. He'll put on a new fork (same as the new rockhopper) and a used XT crankset and BB, but the rest of the parts on the bike are either the same as or a little below what's on the new rockhopper comp disc. He's also including a decent (but not 'nice') computer and a set of lightly used slicks. He says $625 is the lowest he can go for all of this.

On the other hand, he said he'd sell me a new Rockhopper Comp Disc for $100 below retail, or $670. I like getting used stuff for environmental reasons, but I don't know about this. The crankset and BB are better on his used bike, but everything else is the same (or slightly worse) and is used. And I really don't care about having a computer. I want slicks to switch on and off, but they wouldn't really be that expensive if I were to buy them new, right?

What would you do?

(if it makes a difference, I don't want to spend more than about $750 on a bike, and --obviously taking into account components-- the less expensive the better)