genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by på beløb
Never, ever, use WD40 on a bike. Suggest you now wash it all off, use lots and lots of water, and then re-lubricate.

There again, you could just leave it, and learn the hard way why you should never use WD40 on a bike.

Personally I gradually replace everything that starts to squeak with the equivalent but with sealed for life bearings, so I just renew the entire bottom bracket, for example. I also wax chains, i.e. take them off, wash them with a bit of soap and water and then boil them in a pan of wax when they need it.

I do have a little bottle of oil, had it for years, carry it around for those instances of meeting a damsel in distress with a seized chain. At my age you need such things.
Let's talk about the use use of WD-40... washing it off with water is very very difficult... WD is for "water displacement." The original formula was developed for treating components in torpedoes for the Navy. It is generally for displacing water and providing a light lubricant.

The bad thing is that is that it is a very light lube... not really suitable for much of anything on a bike... consider it for MTBs that may be ridden through mud and water... a good dose of WD on the bike will help when cleaning time comes. But avoid plastics and obviously braking areas.

For chains and other areas you need something more tenacious. There are several suitable lubes for this... and any discussion on lubes at this point will be akin to a holy war.

As far as the rusty chain discussion... sure, that is one possible use... but a good penetrating oil might be even better. But since WD seems to be around everywhere... Yeah I'd probably grab one of the cans I have, for this too.

Last edited by genec; 09-20-08 at 01:43 PM.