Old 09-21-08, 06:15 PM
viscount
Viscount

Bikes: Mercian, Viscount x2, Holdworth La Quelda, Gundle Trade Bike, Williams/Mercian Tourer, Itera,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldpeddaller
Well Viscount, you've done it again - another fine find - and one of my favourite marques. Maybe you and I should go on a bike hunt together, I could use some of your skill and luck!

I believe this frame may have been refinished in the 1970's. 1950's models had the maker's name on the down-tube in the style of a script - type "signature". The gothic style block characters were introduced very late 1960's and 70's. Also the name transfers are too high up the down-tube. they would have been factory applied to start about 4 inches above the bottom of the pump. However, this doesn't detract from what is clearly a 1950's model in super condition. The fork rake, pump pegs and lack of derailleur braze-ons all show this. The 4 speed trigger MAY be original, SA supplied these for all 3 & 4 speed hubs for a few years around then. Agree that the brake levers aren't - but they are better than the old "GB" or similar that were most likely fitted to start with - with narrow tops, no real hoods and almost straight levers. Once again, well done - it's a splendid example.
Yes, I agree with your analysis, it's been modified/upgraded at some point, but still a very nice machine deserving of some care and attention.
The 4 speed trigger may well be original, but I have a 3/4 speed period one lying around somewhere.

I keep finding these machines that I know nothing about but just have a 'feeling' that they are worth taking a chance on. Along with this came another mystery that has very nice filed lugs that I know is a good prospect but right now know nothing about. I'm talking about this afternoon so not had time yet to investigate either properly.
It's manic but good fun!

The 3 speed must be original. Murky photo, but clear enough to see the essentials.

And I think the head-badge must be the deciding factor.

Here's a couple of photos of the mystery machine.

Thick paint does not hide the detail.

The chain-wheel is distinctive and looks original.

Was thinking Holdsworth but probably wrong.