View Single Post
Old 11-26-04, 07:56 PM
fixedpip
asleep at the wheel

Bikes: Custom Richie Ditta Track Bike, Eddie Merckx Corsa, Marioni Custom Pista, Dolan Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a1only
Does Chris King make a 1" threadless head set? According to the web site, 1 1/8" is only available except for the uber $$$ titanium model.http://www.chrisking.com/
Doesn't look like it now (not in the QBP catalog anyway) but they definitely made them. 2nd hand/NOS ones show up all the time on Ebay. Plenty of other options for 1" threadless. Some junk, some that are ok.

My bike has a 1/2x3/32 chain, can i swap in a 1/2x1/8? Do i need to change the chain rings? If so, which ones?
You can change the chain without changing rings. However running mixed drivetrain normally results in a lot of noise. So you would, if the noise is too much for you, have to switch out your front chain ring and rear cog to 1/8" pitch stuff.

My bike has a 48t front and a 16t, is the bike over geared to run brakeless?
This depends on what terrain you generally encounter, how strong a rider you are etc. Easiest way is to try riding without using the brake (but left on the bike) and see how you feel. Its certainly a tall(ish) gear but people have been rocking it. I would personally start off with lower gearing.

I've ridden the bike in stock config. for over a year (with a front brake) the head set is junk, I'm on my third truvativ bottom bracket, and the chain is severly stretched. Other than that it's perfect!
If you're chain is severerly stretched then change it. A worn chain will just kill your drivetrain.

Plenty of chain recs on this board. Izumi chains are definitely my favourite right now.