View Single Post
Old 09-22-08, 09:56 PM
Cadd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent observation here smr260. I think you're right. Part of the reason is because there are more & more bicycles around. I guess with gas prices at over $4.50/gal at one point this summer, we had more & more people run out and buy bikes.

This is NYC. I keep my mouth shut & my nose out of someone else's business. The last thing I need is to get into an altercation.

Heck, sometimes I'm guilty of doing the same thing...but only for a block or two (out of convenience).

But what really annoys the crap out of me is when I'm riding and I see a wrong way cyclist coming at me. They almost always stay really close to parked cars. I'm forced to fend for myself, do a head check to make sure no car's coming, swerve out a little to make room.

If you're coming down the street in the wrong direction, at least have the courtesy to ride far out on the road! You can see what's coming much easier than me.

Sometimes they do stay on the outside, but they don't leave enough room for me. I feel like I'm within inches of parked cars and one day a door's going to fly open!

But, I always keep my mouth shut. I was on B'way 2 weeks ago (walking) when a cyclist was riding slowly on the sidewalk. This was late at night. He passed me and came up on 4 people walking shoulder to shoulder. He wasn't able to pass. He was very polite. He didn't say anything. I just followed along going at 3mph.

The lady turned back and saw him and stepped to her right to move out of the way for him. He slowly passed. As he passed, she blurted out "get the eff off the sidewalk". He turns around. Smiles at her, opens his messenger bag and swings at her with his U lock. She was down on the floor bleeding from her mouth. The other 3 people were shocked. He was gone like a bat at night.

I didn't say anything. I just kept walking.