View Single Post
Old 09-23-08, 08:12 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by vredstein
I've found that something thin that blocks the wind is better than something thick that doesn't. And two thin layers are better than one thick layer. You don't need a big, puffy, Michelin Man looking coat. If you can find a thin, Windstopper or Windtex jacket, with a thin merino wool shirt, you'll be fine.
A Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon is the perfect hat. It covers the ears, and blocks the wind, better than a knit cap. Mitts are better than gloves. In the coldest days, I found a cheap pair of large, windproof mitt shells over a $10 pair of rag wool gloves is perfect, much better than the $85 Alpine gloves I used before. Get the rag wool gloves with a long cuff. They stretch enough so you can pull it over the sleeves of the coat. The insulation in thick, expensive gloves will get compressed and lose it's effectiveness. If you have long fingers, the tips will get smooshed into the boxed end of the glove's fingers, cutting off the circulation, and renderring your fingers frozen even in mildly cold temps. And expensive alpine gloves with leather palms and finger tips only conduct the cold faster.

For the past two winters, I commuted 45 minutes to, and 45 minutes from work, five days a week, in Maine. I found I needed something to cover my face. This turned out to be the best solution.
http://www.snowshack.com/detail/SNW+...n+Masque+Black
I'd wear this with Oakleys and not have any fogging problems.
For relatively cheap, and damn durable, no-itch socks, do an Ebay search for "Head Merino wool socks"
In two years, I've never worn a pair out, no frayed stitching, and no unraveling.
do you ride on stevens ave?
i always see someone wearing goggles on stevens