View Single Post
Old 09-26-08, 08:47 AM
mechBgon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Fly
Of course, the Dinotte does put out less light, but...

Seca 700: $650 at Competitive Cyclist
Dinotte 600L: $400 at Dinotte's website

What's more, the Dinotte runs for 7 hours on 2 batteries at full power vs. 5 for the Seca at full (higher) power. In addition, based on my usage pattern (i.e., don't ride for >3 hours per ride), I'll rather have two batteries so there is redundancy and flexibility. YMMV.
I already have the DiNotte 600L. Its floody beam pattern makes it a great off-roading light, and a good buy at $400 for that purpose (especially with two batteries), but it doesn't have the long-distance beam pattern I'd like for on-road riding. It appears to me that DiNotte painted themselves into a corner by putting their emitters so close to the front of the light head, because that doesn't leave them the depth required for a spot-beam optic. L&M doesn't use an optic, they use a reflector. It's not about the lumen count, it's about getting the lumens where I actually need them.

If I need more than 5 hours of runtime on the Seca, I'll just have to pick up a second battery. Anyway, I'm told it'll ship in the first week of October, so I'll have to be patient In the meantime, my 600L is getting help from a Dereelight DBS V2, which has incredible throw.