Old 09-26-08, 09:39 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maxine
I also my 4 Seasons tires. I'm in the mid-Atlantic, so I too often have to deal with rough pavement and urban detritus (but not with nasties such as goatheads.) The 4 Seasons seem to be a multi-way compromise of flat resistance, wet-weather traction, not-too-heaviness -- and, unusual in such situations, the compromise seems to work pretty well. I have a cyclocross frame that will accommodate 32s that I ride almost exclusively on the road; I typically use 25s, but I've used 28s. I really wish the 4 Seasons came in a 32, I'd put 'em on my touring bike.

Question: do the differences in 23/25/28 still matter if you're inflating all of them to 100 psi? In other words, is it the tire size, or the inflation level, that makes the difference in how a tire feels/performs?

Related: When I got my Trek 520, it came with 32c Bontrager tires that had a listed max inflation of 120 or something. ?? My old Conti Top Touring 32c tires had a max rating of like 80 or 75, I think. Don't you lose some of the "fat tire" benefits if you pump 'em up like racers? There's never a minimum psi listed, but I've never put more than 80 into the Bontragers, no problems so far.
i run my conti 28s @ 75 psi or so. 190 pounds of rider, dirt, junk, potholes. the work well.
i don't like the way they feel pumped above 85 psi.