View Single Post
Old 11-29-04, 02:06 AM
mkrabach

Bikes: '94 Trek 520, '00 Rivendell, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, Two '02 Koga Miyatas', '83 Fuji Touring, '64 Raleigh Sports, '05 REI Safari, circa '90 Schwinn Woodlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used drop bars on all my touring bikes and have installed almost identical combos on all of them so they feel the same depending what bike I'm riding. My favorite is Nitto dream bars (Rivendell) which are a standard curved deep drop. I do not like ( yes I have tried them) the new fad with the flat angled section up the drop. They prevent a full flat surface when I'm on the bottom of the bars. I use barend shifters as do most touring riders. I also triple wrap, yes triple, bar tape to get a nice grip which gives a larger radius for the hand to set on. I wrap them tight so there is not alot of sponge effect, but it does reduce some of the high frequency vibration from little bumps on the road. The top of the handlebars are even with the top of my seat and I ride most of the time in a relaxed mode on the top. Wind, uphill and downhill riding is always on the bottom with the hands in a natural position with the elbows back. That is the problem I have found with montain bike bars, hands in that unnatural 90deg twist and no really good way of changing. I cring when I see a mountain biker, on the road, going downhill, trying to bending over with their elbows sticking out and hands inside the shoulders. Highly unstable and dangereous in my opinion. In town and around traffic I ride on the hoods so I have a fast response to the brakes. As to the treking bars, I bought a REI Safari with treking bars and ripped them off and converted the set to a drop bars, barend shifters and cantilever brakes. And triple wrapped. I had to insert a stem riser to get the drop bars up with the seat elevation. By the way the treking bars have the brakes and shifters toward the middle of the bars, more than the traditional mountain bike flat bars. When touring Alaska most of the bikes were mountain of some sort with flat bars. Alot had added extension bars on the end. I used a Rivendell 26" 'All Rounder' which has touring geometry. I built it up with 44 cm deep drops and is what I call an "Alaska Road Bike". Now that the REI Safari has been converted, it is even a tougher "Alaska Road Bike" and 1/3 the price. This is what I will use touring the Alps next year. Would you trust a $3000+ Rivendell to the Airlines? I think not!
Check out two of my tours, you will like the maps and photos. One tour was with a Trek 520 the other with the Rivendell.
http://www.krabach.info