View Single Post
Old 11-29-04, 08:53 AM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Lemond road bike with drop bars but I am not really convinced about the advantages of this type of bar. I have had problems with hand numbness with the drop bar whereas I have never had significant problems with my hybrid which has a straight MTB bar with bar ends.

The drop bar also isnt very convenient for braking and if I had to stop suddenly I am convinced that I would be significantly slower braking with the drop bar.

I am seriously considering changing the drop bar to a straight bar with bar ends. This gives you a couple of hand positions. I think if you get the height right you can still get a reasonable aerodynamic shape.

The only thing that really deters me is the need to change the brakes and shifters. Could be expensive and it is shame to break up the nice shiny Ultegra set.

Has anyone any done this? and if so which brakes, shifters or bar have you used? (I have a 9x cassette).