Old 09-28-08, 02:25 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Is A Folding Bike's Purchase Worth It?

While I was researching a new post for my blog on the Southern California based MTA transit, I came across this transcript of a recent chat on their offical Website. Here is the question as it appeared on screen:

Question: Why were the trains not built with a way to carry bicycles other than folding bikes? Is there a way to retrofit? My husband would gladly bike to a train station, but what is he supposed to do at the other end of the train ride, when his bike is back at his destination? Frankly, it seems discriminatory to put cyclists in a position where they need to buy a special vehicle to ride the train. Are there plans to address this?

Answer: Metro trains and buses accommodate standard bicycles. Bikes are welcome on trains any time except during weekday morning and afternoon rush house (trains are too crowded with people then)...bikes can be taken aboard any time on weekends and many train stations have bike lockers. Almost all of Metro's buses have bike racks (that can carry 2 bikes). For more info you can call 213-922-2660. Hope you'll try taking your bike on Metro!

Do you think that her concern was valid? Is the purchase and the use of a folding bike justified even if she feels "discriminated against" because she (or rather her husband) seems to be indirectly pressured to buy a folding bike? Is she even aware of the many more advantages of usage of a folding bike on a increasing crowded trains?

I was just wondering.....