View Single Post
Old 09-30-08, 01:22 PM
bikinpolitico
Bicycle Utopian

Bikes: Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Softride Qualifier, Ritchey Breakaway Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thasiet
Dude, the faults in your assumptions would make the San Andreas blush. Small wheels are significantly stronger than larger wheels, making them superior for cargo use. The bottom brackets on small wheeled bikes aren't any lower than other bikes; if they were, your pedals would hit the ground. Twitchier handling? Sure, but nothing that proper tire and handlebar selection, along with the stability of the longer wheelbase, wouldn't help plenty with.

I think a folding longtail is a terrific idea. A full on cargo bike that you can fit in a hatchback if need arises, thus eliminating one of their biggest drawbacks
I agree on the smaller wheels being stronger, but as I have to disagree with the handling statement. Smaller wheels are twitchier, but you can get used to it. I've also found they are considerably less twitchy under load, which makes them fine for a cargo bike.

As for a cago bike in a hatchback, the whole reason I want a cargo bike is to not own a car in any way, so I'm not sure the usefulness of a folder carries over to the application of cargo bike.