View Single Post
Old 10-01-08, 03:37 AM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you skid and then hit something? Or did the countersteer leave an "impression" on your wheel?

I would say you'd need to bend the rim back into shape and probably *better* if you did it after you uninstall the whole thing, including the spokes. You can do it just as is - I remember someone saying they just worked it against a tree. It will not be as good as before - changing spokes and/or the rim would be *best* - hub is probably barely affected so that is fine though I would check the flange/spoke holes to damage.

I would think using the same spokes would make it impossible for both a radial true and a lateral true and have proper/consistent spoke tension. It'll be safe to ride without swapping out anything, but in my experience, it requires truing more often than a good wheel.

Also, from what I read around here, aren't you a relatively experienced bike mechanic? I've only been dealing with bikes for a grand total of 3 years. If you think otherwise than what I said, you're probably more likely to be right.

Good luck.