View Single Post
Old 10-02-08, 06:02 AM
bikesafer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the comments so far.

Originally Posted by Bekologist
Jeff- i need to ask though..... do you use a mirror? I didn't see a lot of 'dangerous' passes there, but a lot of anger at motorists incroaching on the 3 foot law. I understand the road weariness from too many close calls, I'm a pretty angry biker too, but that's a lot of yelling there, bro.

good one to attempt to educate motorists just how far a three foot pass really is.... i WISH more motorists had the notion..
I don't use a mirror, I do look over my shoulder an awful lot though.
It is hard to tell on some of the clips they showed just how dangerous the passes are. Some have been slowed down and some have been sped up and some are edited together so fast that you can't tell what is going on exactly. Don't get me wrong, I think they did a good job on the story but to really see how dangerous some of the passes were, you'd have to watch the entire clip at regular speed by itself.

As far as the yelling goes, my wife was worried when she saw the story that I might look like a raving lunatic the way all the yelling shows up in the story. I yell whenever I would normally use a horn in a car.
I gave the reporter almost all the dangerous passes I've had over the last year, so all the yelling comes from an entire year on the road.

I would add though that in my opinion any pass that encroaches on the 3 foot law is dangerous and some that are farther than 3 feet are dangerous too, depending on speeds and road conditions. Remember the 3 feet is only a minimum.