Old 10-03-08, 10:18 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I am almost decided that my next touring bike will be similarly bullhorn equipped with 8sp Ultegra bar-end shifters. Simplicity and ease of access to all controls that drop bars with bar-ends cannot provide.
That's one of my considerations for the LHT, but I'll ride it a while and see where my thoughts go with it. I think it's down to that or trekking bars.

One thing I also forgot to mention for Yen is that she may need to adjust the tilt of the bars to find the most comfortable position. It took a couple of rides for me to dial in mine.
I've already considered that as well.... I may angle them up a little in front. I'll figure that out after a few rides. Thanks for the suggestion.

Another advantage she might find if she stands to pedal up hills, is that the bullhorns allow you to wrap your fingers right around the bar to pull up, rather than sort of halfway with half the fingers as on the hoods of drop bars. I find this particularly useful on an FG when climbing.
That's another advantage I'm looking forward to.

My bike came home from the shop today with the new bars, new tires, and freshly tuned up. I didn't have a chance to ride it this evening after work, but we'll be joining the group tomorrow for a fun ride to Balboa Island. I can't wait to try out these bars..... I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve who just knows there'll be a new trike under the tree in the morning. I'll take the camera and will post pics tomorrow. Wait'll you see it!