Old 10-06-08, 02:48 PM
joninkrakow

Bikes: '86 Koga Miyata Randonneur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KarmicPedals
If you have put this much effort into to deciding whether to let it go or have it shipped to you -- spend the $75 for the piece of mind. You'll always regret letting go of it -- and ending up spending lots more in attempts to replace it.
Thanks everyone for your input. Here are my (I hope) final thoughts. This bike has some things on it that I really want:

1. The bars--I really miss my randonneur bars
2. the bar-end shifters--These seem to sell for about $50 themselves, and mine are branded for Raleigh, IIRC
3. Front rack (old Blackburn made for this bike, but can be put on my current ride)
4. Those 40 spoke Mavic double-walled rims--this may be a wash. I can't remember if they are 700c or 27". I have a vague memory that they are 700c, but if not--well.... ;-)

This is only for the parts if the frame is bent. I've asked my friend to send me a closeup of the head tube where it meets the down tube, but he hasn't sent me the pic, and it's been a month, so I will just have to go with the expectation that it's been forced from my accident when I broke my collar bone--I rode the bike for a year or three after the accident, so I can't imagine the damage being too bad, but after 10 years of rusting, I seriously doubt I can trust it, so I may just have to let it go.... alternately, I might clean it up, and just keep it for _very_ light neighborhood riding, and look for a "real" frame for my commuter. Problem is, good, touring frames are impossible to find here, and that's what my 6'2" frame really needs. I may have to break down and buy myself a Surly LHT. :-D

So, thanks again for everybody's input. If you have any serious doubts re: my thoughts, please feel free to continue to speak up.

-Jon