Old 10-06-08, 06:27 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by grayloon
I'm not sure what that would be. The market sets the price. Of late, speculators have caused some of the run up in price and, as they've backed out of the market, the price has dropped. From what I've read, local oil experts (there are many here) predict a drop to about $70 a barrel. They also predict a real increase, not one from speculation, to about $300. The immediate impact will be a drop in price, but a whopping increase over the next few years.

There are many costs associated with how we transport ourselves and use energy. Some are quantifiable, some may not be so easy to count. More tax on energy is one method of getting to the real costs. But, that's not something I'd support unless it was dedicated and not general revenue money
The market has always failed when it comes to setting prices. The only ways I know to pass along full prices of energy is taxes or lawsuits. What if every asthma patient, car crash victim and wounded Iraq War veteran sued the oil companies? Somehow, I think taxes would be more efficient than litigation.

How would you feel about a revenue neutral carbon tax? That would bring enormous financial benefits to those of us who are already carfree or carlight. Even some of your fellow conservatives are getting behind the idea of a revenue neutral tax.

"Think Outside the Cage"