Old 10-09-08, 06:19 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Miami-Next Amsterdam?

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miam...ry/718898.html

I could not believe my eyes when I read this article in the paper this morning. Is this the same Miami I live and bike in? Miami, acknowledged road rage capital of the US, where cars aim at cyclists on the street, where I get yelled at on a weekly basis to "get the f@ck off the road!"

Its a great program just because of its scale and ambitiousness, and it also seems to privide for bike routes along established streets, rather than separate bike paths.

Part of the plan is to make downtown Miami, which they hope will eventually grow into a little Manhattan in density, bike friendly. Some of the bike routes are already built and they have essentially taken one lane of a narrow two lane (in one direction) and made it into a bike lane. And its on streets tha cyclists have gravitated to for years, so it actually looks like the planners have talked to cyclists before they made thier plans. Imagine that, getting input from cyclists about cycling!

I have my fingers crossed, however, since this is Miami, where the car is worshipped and revered. And this seems to be the project of a politician at the end of his tenure, that has not been especially friendly towards cyclists in the past, who now wants to leave a "green" legacy.

But god I hope it works.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1