View Single Post
Old 10-09-08, 11:50 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
"Guy in San Diego" was raised in Texas and rode a bike there in the '70s long before moving to San Diego. He has also toured the southwest during July. Now granted, the southwest does not have the humidity. But Texas does. If one doesn't try to make every bike trip a race, it is quite easy to cycle about even in intense heat.
In these hot and humid climates (I lived 4yrs in Houston) just casually walking in the summer results in being soaked in sweat and a flush face. Yes an equivalent 'casual walking' cycling pace does provide more of a breeze, but not enough to avoid heating up the body.

It is possible (but not easy for everyone) to cycle in intense heat. However going slow is not necessarily the right approach for many cases - often total exposure in intense heat is more of a factor that exertion level. I can cover 15mi in 118F heat at 'race pace', but would not be able to do it comfortably at 10mph and I am very acclimated. As an aside 15mi is about the max distance I'd ever want to travel in 118F without some extended cooling off periods.

I believe top priority for localities with hot weather are shower/changing facilities at or near workplaces.

Al