Old 12-02-04, 06:26 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mhendricks
I'm looking to build my own crankset too but having a hard time finding a good 28/38/48 setup using a square spline bottom bracket. Have looked in my LBS junk piles but nothing. I remember that Shimano made some pretty decent cranks in the 80's. Any suggestions? I have been able to find 2 good 40t timing cranks. Since I'm 6' and my wife is 5' I plan on sticking with 170mm on both the frone and back. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Send an Email to Rich Shapiro at Gear-to-Go Tandems in New York (Rich@GTGTandems.com), or Mark Johnson at Precision Tandems in Kansas (MarkP@PrecisionTandems.com), or to Mel Kornbluh at Tandems East in New Jersey (TandemWiz@aol.com), or to Larry Black at Mt. Airy Cyclery in Maryland (Abikie@aol.com) and see what they have laying around or what they have access to. If you just need the two right hand cranks and don't care if they match the left, I think Rich has what you're looking for on hand and they're cheap. Moreover, any 110 1/2 bike triple crankset can be used to cover your right-hand crank needs. Just use the triple "as is" and then drill-out and tap the left hand crank for 9/16" x 20 TPI heli-coil so it can be used on the right front.