JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fitzpch
JohnKScott -
Great bike you have. I too am coming off a flat bar bike and am going back to a road bike for the first time in almost 20 yrs. I just purchased the Defy 1 and will pick it up tomorrow. I could afford the Alliance but they didn't have one for me to test ride and I liked the feel of the Defy 1 enough to pick it without waiting. Interesting that my LBS owner didn't try to over-sell by pushing the Alliance. He didn't think I'd notice that much difference and it looks like you did like both bikes. In fact, I am having them switch out the triple for a compact so the only difference between the two choices will be the frame.

Sounds like the main pluses for your Alliance choice were the compact (which I'm getting) and cornering ability. Anything else come to mine or would you have been almost as happy with the Defy 1?

Also, what type of lights do you have? I've never really considered riding that early on my old bike but now that I'm getting this road bike, I might want to give it a try to get in miles during the week in the Fall and Spring.

Thanks for the info on your purchase!!!
Fitz
Hey Fitz Congrats on the new bike! Yeah the Defy 1 was the first one I rode. I really did like it. I think with compact double on there I would have been quite pleased with the bike. I just happened to like the Alliance a tad better because of the handling. The Defy 1 is a sweet bike and had I been strapped for the cash I would have been perfectly happy riding it for a long time. I actually like the look of the Defy 1 better . I did a 40 mile moderately paced ride this morning and never got off the bike or really off the saddle much at all and felt totally comfortable. I loved it! I guess the fitting was pretty good.

I have a Blackburn red blinky light on the back that is fairly bright and a Cateye headlight ( http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/342 )on the front which is barely sufficient. I definitely wouldn't be doing any fast descents with it or travelling on any roads that I wasn't very familiar with. I hit about 30 mph on a couple of small rolling descents on my morning route and that's probably too fast. My wife is worried about my safety so I have permission to go find a brighter one . I may just do that.

Enjoy your new ride!