Old 10-11-08, 04:15 PM
ride4jc

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Giant FCR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire recommendations?

It happened today - I was out for a long ride and heard the 'hiss' that none of us want to hear. First flat for me - I'm still relatively new to cycling, but really loving it - commute 20 miles round trip to work 3 times a week plus take a long ride on Saturday and a 'joy ride' on Sunday.

Repaired it no problem, but I notice that my OE Continental Ultrasport tires are starting to get 'flat' in the center. Just a pinhole caused the leak, but it's obvious that the rubber is getting pretty thin...

I think it's time to replace the tires. I like the 'go fast' 700x23 tires, but I want something 'robust' that'll hold up and deal with the occasional commute - I only ride this bike to work once a week 'cause I fear excessive weight on the bike. On that trip I'll travel on 8 miles of rail trail (smooth asphault) and some northern Virginia neighborhood roads (okay, but not great.) Incidentally, the other 2 days I ride a Giant bike more suited to the loaded commute.

Probably TMI.

Still, would anyone please clear the confusion and recommend a tire? Looking at the Nashbar and Performance sites only confuses me more.......

Thanks