Old 12-03-04, 11:02 PM
Roadie Rob
Bike Nut

Bikes: 16 and counting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winwood Muddy Carbon Cross Disc Fork for tandem...?

I'm in the process of building up a new road tandem and while the stock frameset comes with a tandem-specific carbon fork with canti mounts, I'm contemplating using Winwood's cyclocross disc fork. In doing research over the last couple of weeks on dozens of bike sites and in the local shops, it seems there is a void in absolute "yes / no" knowledge on this topic. Since it was only $15 more for a disc front hub instead of a standard, I went with the disc hub in hopes that either now or soon in the future, a strong enough fork will be available (Hugi 145mm disc hubs, DT Alpine spokes, 40h Mavic A719 rims, Avid 203mm rotor on the rear).

Cannondale uses a dual disc setup, but with their oversized aluminum Fatty fork. No other tandem I found from the large builders allows a front disc. I certainly understand the physics involved with the amount of torque the disc puts on the rest of the fork. See the link below for an ugly depiction of what can go wrong.

Tandem disc fork failure

So, any thoughts or has anyone else had success (or failure, hopefully safely) using this fork? Worse case, I have an older headset cable hanger and will drop my classic Onza H.O. canti's on the front.

Much thanks!
-Roadie Rob