Old 12-04-04, 05:16 PM
Roadie Rob
Bike Nut

Bikes: 16 and counting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool - I'll probably build it initially with the Onza canti's and see how she handles before picking up a Avid 160 in front. We have only 2-5 really good sized hills around here (depending on route) that we've used the Arai drag on our MTB tandem (southeast Wisconsin, hey, kinda flat). Being a team of 330 lbs. filled with cheese, beer and sausage, I don't see a major need for the discs aside the fact that since I was building from the ground up, the "cool" factor came into play. Plus, we've burned through a few sets of pads on the MTB, so I figured to give discs a shot.

The whole "drag" concept is great IF you have the right setup to drag. If you don't, people need to realize you can't "drag" on canti's, V-brakes, or discs. It's the same principal as downshifting in mountains to drag your car under control. A good hard brake for 5 seconds and coast will keep you under much better control anyway. I've seen plastic hub caps melted to rims of cars for the same issue - it is wicked funny!!!!!

If I do go disc in front, I'll be getting bolt-on skewers. I recall years ago a friend of mine ripping a front wheel out on a MTB ride in the Kettle Moraine forest here before it was widely known. Thus, I'm all too familiar with the issue on QR skewers.

I noticed the Calfee print as well, having a Tetra of my own. In fact, I just posted my road rides on the "road bike" thread - check 'em out if you like.