I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
My question: How do internally geared hubs do in very cold temps, like down well below zero? I've searched here and people say most of the trouble is with the cables themselves freezing up, but I'm not sure I've read messages from people who have used the IGH in REALLY cold temps; most people are saying 10 or 20 degrees F, which isn't really cold.

So, do IGH do well or not? Also, how about Shimano vs SRAM since Shimano uses grease and apparently SRAM uses oil; does the thinner lube help SRAM work better in the cold?

Just to save time, single speed isn't an option, so don't bother suggesting it.
I've been using my Sachs/SRAM Spectro 7 for the last 6 winters under similar conditions to yours (coldest ride to work was at -4°F) and no thawing out for months at a time. Not a bit of problems with the shifting or running mechanism due to ice, snow or cold. Previously I used a Sachs Torpedo 3 speed for 5 winters in Germany with no problems and have used S-A TCW 3 speeds and S-5 5 speeds for several decades in the states with no cold weather problems with the hubs. I rode the S-5 in Western Illinois 9 miles to work at -15° in 1976. In addition all the hubs, except for the S-5, have coaster brakes which were also unaffected by cold or ice buildup on the exterior of the wheel. The S-5's rim brakes weren't worth a dang when snow or ice accumulated on the wheel but on the rural ride I hardly needed them.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-15-08 at 08:52 PM.