Old 10-16-08, 01:42 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Downie
And while we're at it... what does 'semi-custom' mean?
I don't know if "semi-custom" means anything to anyone else , but since I used it, here's what I mean:

Co-Motion and Rodriguez are two examples of higher-end, specialty bike makers who advertise a standard configuration of frames and bikes (I think Bilenky might be another one). While they are very low volume, I think for the most part they can turn around a bike that fits their standard specs pretty quickly (weeks, not months).

If you want to then start customizing -- extra braze-ons, fancy colors, tweaking geometry, Rohloff hubs -- they will charge you extra. It likely will take more time, too. I think Rodriguez charges something like $200 for a "custom" geometry; Co-Motion's charge is something like $300.

So clearly you have a lot more flexibility than with a standard, mass-produced bike (Trek, REI, Surly). But you will pay a bit less than going a "full custom" bike where someone is starting essentially with a blank sheet of paper.