View Single Post
Old 10-16-08, 08:15 PM
tekknoschtev

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SCORE - Schwinn World Sport

I always get a bit of jealousy when I hear about these awesome bike finds at garage sales or in the trash or some such. Nearly new bikes for cheap or free because someone didn't ride them. I always keep my eyes out when I go to thrift stores, and usually either the bikes are crap (falling apart, rusted to hell) or expensive (or sometimes both). Today I saw a bike which I thought would be way over priced, a nice Schwinn World Sport. Checked the tag and saw $15.99. SWEET! Time to check it over. Loose cranks? Nope. Messed up wheels? Nope. Broken frame? NOPE! Tires rotted out? Nope, BRAND NEW! I really couldn't believe what I was looking at.

Now, you have to understand, I have one bike hanging in my garage that I don't ride because its an old department store MTB with knobbies and all, along with a 1970s/80s road bike which doesn't quite fit me but I still like since my dad gave it to me. I also have my MTB with the semi-slicks and fenders and racks and all getup, as well as my Giant Kronos road bike. I don't need another bike at all! But I really couldn't pass this deal up - if nothing else I could clean it and lube it and then sell it on Craigslist (similar bikes go for $50-100, no joke) or clean it up and donate it to a family/student in need of transportation for employment (I live in an area where this is fairly common).

Get home, air it up and go for a quick ride. Holy farking crap! This bike fits like a glove! I don't feel stretched out, nor do I feel cramped. The suicide levers are cool - but I don't think I'll be using them much.

Long story short, I really dig the bike. My friend's car is in the shop, and his bike is on campus, so he's borrowing the bike this weekend for running around, and I've got my car or my stable of other bikes.

SCORE!