Old 10-17-08, 12:10 PM
vobopl
re:member

Bikes: unknown make TT bike, fixed; Romet Sport, gone; titanium Pinarello gone;Colnago with Campy C-Record/Super Record,on it's way; Funny Gianni Motta; Buehler track, Polrad track chrome; titanium MTB on 28'', fixed; Tri Wheeler, fixed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lewt539
Okay, forget what I said about highest quality, and passing it along to my grandchildren.

I remember seeing somewhere about custom Vanillas and I actually went on their website, and as of December 2007, the waitlist is 5 years. So I don't think it's a very reasonable choice. I've heard Japanese steel frames back in the 80s or 90s were really good in quality. What are a few brands and models that had their frames made in Japan with good quality, my Centurion Le Man was, but is made with the cheaper heavier high tensil steel.

vobopl- What do you mean by the fatigue life of stiffer tubes are usually lower? steel = stiff material = lower lifespan? I thought steel compared to say... aluminum and carbon is a much stronger and tougher material. I don't know what I'm talking about though.
Way oversimplyfying:
material density is the same for all steel alloys. The Yang modulus (stiffness) and tensile strength are different. Lighter tubes == stronger, stiffer steel alloys == smaller wall thickness == shorter fatigue life than (bike build out of) tubes from weaker steel alloys which are a) more ductile b) thicker