Thread: Wal Mart Bikes
View Single Post
Old 10-18-08, 08:17 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
I agree that getting started is the most important thing.

Often those of us in a hobby or sport forget that some people simply need to test the waters to see if they even like doing something we have come to love. As long as there are those of us willing to help them with whatever little problems they might have and are willing to welcome them into our circle of riding friends even a Xmart bike can be a worthwhile purchase. Getting them out of the house and onto a bike is more important than what they ride.

I agree, but...

Cycling can really be no fun on the wrong bike. Very heavy bikes are really a chore. Bikes that do not shift or brake well do not inspire confidence. Bikes that do not fit well just never let you feel right. X-mart bikes have all these problems.

We all bought the wrong bikes at first, so maybe there is not real reason to worry this issue too much. But if people had a decent (if cheap) bike to start out, I can't help but think many more people would see what the appeal is.

jim