Old 12-05-04, 11:43 PM
Roadie Rob
Bike Nut

Bikes: 16 and counting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark - thanks. I will be using a dual brake lever setup (canti's and discs) for the first few voyages to see how they both respond. 203 in back and 160 in front, Onza H.O. cantis (STI levers, and I hate travel agents, so no V's). The hubs were literally only $30 more for the disc flange, so the cost was nothing. As for the discs, cost is not an issue there either (simplicity choosing mechanical vs. hydro). They will be laced 3x 40h to Mavic 719 rims, so strength is not an issue either (was contemplating 4x, but that would be too much). I have a set of bolt on skewers and the front will defintely have that, rear is a 145 Salsa stainless.

As for people dragging on them, they didn't listen in high school physics class during the "friction" chapter. These are the same people dragging their cars brakes and melting hub caps going down a mountain. Sadly, I see more of them come into the bike shop than us.

While I took the road path in life, most of friends are expert and pro MTB racers. I'm quite familiar with the propeties behind what they can do to a fork, skewer, and overall ride control since many of my friends were the BETA's a few years ago (Trek's HQ is not far away, so they have most of the latest gear and prototype goods to ride with, discs included).

Being a bonded carbon leg to an aluminum crown, that is where I tend to lose a little confidence. I've witnessed an old Specialized Epic frame snap at the lugs - glue gets old and brittle. How long before the Winwood does the same......?

What we need - 20mm through axle, aluminum fork skeleton (bit smaller than a C-Dale Fatty) with a full carbon overlay, and dual (R & L) 160mm disc tabs with a split cable for even pull (like old cantis, but at a fixed junction - use an old headset cable hanger?). The torque would be split between both legs and the axle / skeleton would be a good reinforcement.