View Single Post
Old 10-20-08, 09:36 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Like a lot of others I got my first good and cold weather today. Being this will be my first winter commuting I am still sorting out cold weather gear.

Was 39f here this morning. Overall my gear selection has worked ok for being low end gear.

Compression base layer, Regular short sleeve tech pull over, Nashbar Siberia and Sugoi Venture as a wind breaker. Heavy weight cargo pants. Toasty warm while peddling. Had to keep the Sugoi unzipped halfway in fact. When I stopped for lights and intersections was a problem...without the airflow I started overheating and sweating. That gave me a chill when I took off but the base lay quickly got the moisture out and all was fine after moving a short distance. Maybe I should be an ass and run the lights to fix that...Just kidding. Part of the problem is my Nathen refelctive vest is a pain in the butt and pulls everythign too tight and keeps me from getting at jacket zipper. Going to go by Harbor Freight and get a looser vest this week.

Up top I got a Performance cap that covered my ears. Top of head was great. Lower face was cold but not bad. I have a Baklava I also picked up I may try tomorrow but I think it is going to fog my glasses if I pull it over my nose when it gets real cold.

My big fail was gloves. Picked up some Fox full finger un padded gloves but I think 40f is about the bottom end for them. Last week and the end of this week they would be perfect. Probably should have got the heavier gloves that I passed on These however will make really good liners for when it gets really cold around Jan.

Overall my ride in was nice and built my confedence in peddling through the winter. Ride home was outstanding. 65f with the base layer and shirt I wore was just right.