Old 10-23-08, 08:28 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yan
I flat out disagree with the first point, but agree that wide flat bars are easier to steer. I do not feel that this should be a factor in deciding between bike choices, however; If you find something difficult, you should get better at it rather than avoid it.
Does this mean you should ride a mountain bike on the road instead of a road bike because you should get better at it?

Logically following the above:
* The Cervelo with flat bars would not satisfy the criteria for road bikes;
* The MTN bike with drop bars would not satisfy the criteria for road bikes.
* A Cervelo will become a hybrid with the addition of flat bars;
* A full suspension MTN bike will become an unorthodox hybrid with the addition of drop bars.
We would have to agree to disagree on very point but the second.

After disecting your other comments, here are mine:
* You're suggesting that a road bike is a bike designed to be ridden primarily on roads, therefore since hybrids are designed to be ridden primarily on roads, they are road bike. This is not true, because although hybrids are designed to be ridden primarily on roads, they are designed badly, and therefore cannot be considered road bikes.
We're going to disagree here too. You're seemingly willing to dismiss all hybrids as badly designed bikes. I'm not.

* You mention that Wikipedia does not classify flat bar road bikes as hybrids exclusively. You are suggesting that hybrids can also be considered road bikes. We have already disproved this theory above, therefore Wikipedia is wrong.
We didn't disprove anything. You don't consider hybrids to be road bikes. I believe many road bikes can also be classified as hybrids.

When did Wikipedia become an authoritative encyclopaedia anyway?
I didn't say it was. But it's one more source than an opinion, which is all you're arguing with.

* "Drop bars are not neccessary to make a bike a road bike." Yes they are.
Once more, we're going to disagree.

* "Drop bars [alone] are not sufficient to make a bike a road bike." Well no sh*t. Strawmen alone are not sufficient to prove a point.
Neither are curses. You seem to be conflating your opinions with facts. You can have the opinion that all hybrids are bad bikes, and that no hybrids are road bikes, and that no bike without drop bars can be considered a road bike, but these are all opinions. They aren't facts. There's a difference between the two.