Wulfheir
Designated Drinker

Bikes: '04 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leo C. Driscoll
In Boston, bikers "share" sidewalks with sleep walkers. When looking at the backs of sleep walkers, I use the brass model of the Incredibel and reward their sideway move with a "Thanks!". When riding head-on and looking at sleepwalkers' heads down and their eyes riveted to the sidewalk or when their heads are attached to a cell phone, I use a horn (while playing a fugue on the brake levers). (I also use the horn when a Rattus Norvegicus is running across my path when I'm spinning down a Fenway street.) When commuting at night on sidewalks and narrow-bridge walks, I use a Cygolight 15-watt setting, pointed down so the sleepwalker doesn't act like a deer frozen in the headlight. On Fenway (mugger) trails, I use the 25-watt setting, not pointed down. When approaching a crowd of thugs or a drunken crowd of college kids, I brake, and let them pass me (with a cartridge of pepper spray strapped to my left glove). You probably don't need the pepper spray, but check out the following for bells and horns.
http://sportsbay.com/bellsandhorns.html
On a positive, note, pedestrians can be a blessing. I frequently run errands on my 1984 Raleigh Technium single-speed, negotiating my way through thousands of students on the BU campus. This is an incredible (but not Incredibel ;-) training experience. Bring on the single-track after weaving and broken-field running along Commonwealth Avenue at high noon!

i can deal with sleep walkers, but it's the people who see me, then randomly change their current course and speed to enter my intended path. an intended path that runs in a straight line from where I am, forward. the residential street is quiet, no cars as far as i can see in either direction, yet it's this moment they choose to cross the street to get to the other side. what's on the other side of the street for them? i don't know, but they must have needed to get there at this instant, because they put themselves in the way of a 200lb projectile. if anyone reads about a pedestrian being bludgeoned by a bike pump in the next 2 or 3 days, you can direct them to me. i'll plead my case and live with the consequences.