View Single Post
Old 10-25-08, 06:32 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have some picture of the upgraded genie I ended up buying. Thanks for the input.

It has a Scram or sach 3x7 dual drive rear hub set up, and a beam saddle and post. The bars are non standard I think and a quick release stem has been added.

The bike has had little use yet, but I have a few early impressions.

for ;

1) solid bike, rides well , I like the way the folding rear frame pivot is slightly stiff and locks in firmly
2) Folds and stands more securely on the rack than any bike I have ever owned
3) rear suspension feels nice and progressive,smooth ride.
4) Brakes work strongly, prievous owner converted the front V brake back to a caliper as he found it too strong!!!
5)Dual drive is great (wish it was newer 9 x3 instead though)
6)The quick release handle bar stem can be adjusted to fit children.
7) I think for light off road I will prefer this to my former Merc and Brompton.

against;

1) Folded package is large, rather clumsly, and does not lock together, rather like my NS8 Downtube, but the Downtube ride much faster and better.
2) longer seat post still not long enough for me. I think because the BB clearence is so high.

3) the handle bar quick release does not hold bars completely securely yet, I will check out little pixels threads

The extra weight does not bother me , I would much sooner have enough range of gears like this has got.

my personal conclusion

The bike has the advantage over my previous Merc for family use. In this form the bars can adapt to suit better for children. The gear range is also better for them as I found running twin chainrings to accommodate on a merc a pain. The chain came off and the tensioner could not cope with the extremes of a 42 - 53 set up. (I suppose I could have gone for a a twin rear set up)

I have had many folding bike and all have them have done one thing better than others. This bike has my prefered standard 135 mm rear axle, and the way it does not need a chain tensioner I thought may be a boom over previous Brompton and Merc set ups. The problem is that the Genie rear fold only achives the bike standing up securely. It does not reduce its size. The smaller footprint over a Mezzo or Brompton might mean I can get it in to the same luggage compartment on a train.But in a car it will take up alot more space. It does not ride anywhere as well as my Downtube, but it is a simular folded size.I need to try it on the train to see if it is a better commuting package than the Downtube.I have added a photo compairing it tt a Merc(Brompton clone),from this its smaller footprint can be seen.

My old Dawoe was good for messing about and doing tricks,The downtube handle well and is stiff enought to carry a passenger on the rear rack ! My Diblasi had the best "folding" . The brompton the smallest.

The Genie does not seem to be the best at anything nor is it the overall best package that my upgraded Mezzo represents for my preferences. I would not recommend this bike for any particular reason, but I am not convinced that it might suit a purpose well. I will sit on the fence for now!
I really bought the bike for the value of the dual drive hub.

I love dual drive hubs and will keep the rear wheel to go on another project if this bike is sold. Here I go again!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0015.jpg (101.2 KB, 108 views)
IMAG0017.jpg (102.4 KB, 93 views)
IMAG0020.jpg (101.7 KB, 108 views)
IMAG0021.jpg (101.5 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by bhkyte; 08-14-12 at 06:07 AM.