Old 12-07-04, 09:07 PM
kb0tnv

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a sham! "Research shows...watching TV leads to obesity." That is something you will never hear them state ;0). "Research shows....driving your car may be hazardous to your health." another quote...they won't state. What a joke they don't even present where they got their supposed, "research." I guess they just did a google and picked what met their fancy. Here is a link to more info on the, "reporter" who did this, "facinating" story... http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?S=2083598

Here is a snippet: Ramonica R. Jones comes to KTRE-TV with a print journalism background. She joined the East Texas News team in May 2004, following a brief stint as a reporter / photographer at KSAN-TV in San Angelo, Texas. Prior to making the move to television, Ramonica worked as an intern with the Austin American Statesman and as a writer for Houston Style Magazine and the Lufkin Daily News.

She sounds like a, "Green Horn" to me... Her first, "big" story ;0)

Here is a link to some stats that actually show the source of where their "Research" comes from....

http://www.massbike.org/info1/stats.htm

Here is a quote that I believe shows the percentage to be much lower:

"In his analysis of the Cross and Fisher data, Forester found that the cyclist was riding in the roadway in the direction of traffic in only 37% of all car-bike collisions—in the remaining cases, the majority, the cyclist was entering the roadway, riding against traffic, turning or swerving from the curb lane, or riding on the sidewalk. In general, bicyclists are more likely to be at fault (in the sense of disobeying the rules for drivers of vehicles) than motorists when the two collide. The figures in the 1996 Hunter et al. study reveal that the bicyclist was solely at fault in 54% of cases, the motorist solely in 30%, and both were at fault in 30% of car-bike collisions where culpability was determined."

Another example of, "cut and paste" TV Journalsim @ it's best ;0)

I wouldn't even waste any more time with this dribble. ;0)

Peace,

kb0tnv

Last edited by kb0tnv; 12-07-04 at 09:18 PM.