View Single Post
Old 10-27-08, 07:30 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Here's my suggestion, or opinion, or meaningless meanderings of the mind on a Monday morning:

You said you have an emotional appreciation of it, so my suggestion is to give it a tune-up which might or might not go into the details of a complete overhaul with regreasing the bottom bracket and all other bearings. How deep you get into the tune up would be based on how the bike was used in the past and on where you live and on what your local humidity is like. You might even take it down to bare frame and give it a frame-saver treatment. Your option on if you freshen up the the tires and bar wrap. Then put a good relaxing 20 miles on it. Then hang it back up on the wall.

Even though at this point in time you might prefer the newer c/f wonderbike, there might come the day down the road that you find you actually prefer the ride of the older bike, or there might come the day that you just want to wax nostalgic. Don't know how old you are so maybe save the bike for the midlife crisis years when you just want to rediscover your youth. I could offer analogys (analogies? sp?), but will spare you that meander.

If it costs you nothing now, and if it isn't in your way, then saving it might make you thankfull you did in 10 to 20 years from now. Or not. Another option would be to pass it along to someone who likes the bikes of that era, that way it will be put into use as it was designed for. Ultimately it is your decision, do what works for you.