View Single Post
Old 10-28-08, 01:28 AM
wologan
Olly

Bikes: Touring bike, MTB, two recumbents, some spares for visitors, a trailer.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ranted about this on other postes, but oh well one last time. Everything below is in 406mm

Schwalbe Marathon: (Old ones HS308 with Kevlar). Never had any trouble, thousands of KM, few punctures.

Schwalbe Marathon: (New ones HS368 with Kevlar). Were such a disaster on my last expedition that I never want to use them again. Punctures, broken beads. grrrrrr. See my diary and Beijiingtoparis.com

Schwalbe Marathon Plus: Heavy, slow, but had only one puncture, and that was through the side.

Kenda Kwest 100psi: Using them at the moment. Fast, but a bit slippery. No special confidence in their puncture resistance. Exploded (really, there were bits of rubber 2m away) when used in combination with tyre liners. They are very cheap though, and fast.

Continental sport contact (New, with Kevlar): Have them in the shed right now. Look most intreaguing. Not confident about durability. Would really like continental travel contact, but they don't exist in 406mm. Had great success with 559mm version of travel contact.

Tioga comp pool. Loads of punctures, short life.

Vittoria Randoneur 40-406. Not available in Australia, but look like a potential rival to the marathon plus. (slow and robust).

So until something better comes along, I'm going to use the continental sport contacts, and carry a folding schwalbe stelvio as a spare. And use inner tube sealant.