View Single Post
Old 10-31-08, 08:55 AM
"Fred"
Got Hills, I do!

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 9.9 - Trek Supercaliber 9.9.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jose Perez
Those both (Fred's and ColorChange's) sound like incredible trips. One question, I know Fred has access to some hills up in northern Michigan, how do you Chicago guys plan to prepare for that amount of climbing and the altitude with the terrain you have south of the cheddar curtain?

I wouldn't worry about training as long as you are in good shape. The hills/mountains are much longer but not near as steep as Michigan or Wisconsin. I remember seeing colorchange's polar data from one of the Wisconsin challenge rides and he might just launch himself over the peaks.

There was a group of 3 couples that I ride with and they did both rides a couple of years ago. They were in there 40's and 50's they are strong A group riders for up here which means weak A's or strong B's in a metro area. they all had no problem with the hills or elevation. they did say that you could tell the air was thinner on some of the higher passes bot it was not a concern. They all did like the bicycle tour of Colorado better as there was more mileage and saddle time.

I would love to do a great lakes BF group trip like this but we are in the process of opening another store and I don't know if I will still be broke or have the funds and time available until the last minute.