Old 12-09-04, 08:28 AM
tomcat
pedal, paddle and plod

Bikes: Felt F1 frame (scandium tubing with Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, Ultegra, Mavic Ksyrium Elites), Klein mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
which is a harder climb...low and humid or high and dry

Just for conversation.....I live in Arkansas where the summers offer some very hot temps with very high humidity and dew points. I go to Colorado almost every summer to kayak and bike. A couple of summers ago I take my road bike and ride up the east face of Independence Pass (12,000+ ft). It wasn't as bad as I expected. I ride a 18 lb bike with 53/39 to 12/25. Didn't have to use the 25 till the last few miles but never had to stand and was able to crank up sitting all the way. It was a great ride!! I had aclimated (spl?) about four days prior to this ride.

Now back at home.....a few weeks later some bros and I go on a 60 miler in the Arkansas July heat. We make a big loop that includes a climb over our highest mtn, Mount Magazine, at 2800 ft. Note that the valley floor is prob at 500' so this climb was a solid 2300' in 7 miles of hard climbing. I found this the harder ride than Indy Pass. Both have similar grades.

The difference seems to be the humidity. Everybody has always stated that a lowland rider gets their butt handed to them when they try riding at altitude but I feel that a lowland rider who trains in the heat and humidity maybe has an advantage when they go ride in CO as it's so much dryer. I was so much more comfortable riding in the cool crisp air versus riding in our hot/humid air.

Comments? Opinions?

tomcat