View Single Post
Old 11-01-08, 09:16 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I heard an economist on NPR recently comment that there may be a shift to more of a cash economy and that while the transition may be painful, ultimately that would be a good thing. I heard another commentator say that all the doom and gloom in the media is making things worse because he feels people will tighten their belts unnecessarily taking money out of the system.

My personal situation at the moment is fine. We live in a um... "modest" house this is paid for and we have no debt. Houses in this neighborhood average about 1600 to 1800 square ft while the state average is about 2100. Our neighbors across the street buy everything with cash including cars. You wouldn't think of them as rich but obviously they have more cash available than most.

Nevertheless I realize that I'm part of a larger society and that if things get bad enough, it will inevitably affect me. The organization I work for specializes in making buildings more energy efficient. It's a good business to be in but it does count on people/companies having the money and being willing to make the investment upfront. I'd be one of the last to go if work slowed down but I take nothing for granted. I also have an ailing mother who can't pay her bills.

With the higher gas prices earlier in the year there was a huge jump in bike thefts right where I live. I have 4 neighbors, - people I know well, that had bikes stolen out of their garage in the last year. Nothing else was taken. With winter coming and cheaper gas, I'm sure the incidence of that type of crime has probably peaked for a bit.