Old 11-01-08, 04:43 PM
trigger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My First Heart Rate Monitor ... Help Please.

Hi

I was just given a Polar hear rate monitor as a gift. I've set it up, and am quite excited to start using it, as I feel it will help me bring some much needed focus to my winter sessions on the trainer.

That said, I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some clear and simple instructions / suggestions for using it during training. I don't race, and all the math that crops up in books like Friel makes my head hurt.

I'd like to use the monitor to 1) more effectively burn fat at lower intensity / longer duration rides as I seek to lose that nagging last 10 pounds (I have tendency just to ride as hard as I can which I think is counterproductive) and 2) to help with interval training to better prepare myself for hills next season. From what I understand, this would involve longer, less intense intervals than if I was training for sprints and / or for power. Correct?

How intense should / could these different sessions be? Should I work on one, then the other, or mix it up? In terms of the intervals, how long should I shoot for at the start, and again, at what intensity. I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go, but I would feel much better with a solid place to start from.

If anyone who could offer some advice or some web links, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!